Friday, May 22, 2009

Global Satyagraha for Peace and Prosperity

A Special Event on Sept 11, 2009 To Commemorate M K Gandhi

On September 11, 1906, in Johannesburg(South Africa) ,the greatest weapon of social transformation was coined and tested by one of the greatest men of peace to have ever lived: M.K Gandhi. The Satyagrahi achieves his/her goals through the conversion of one's adversaries with courageous compassion, rather than defeating them with violent force. The end is never separated from the means and peace is only achieved with peaceful means and intention. The adversary becomes a friend. It is a weapon of the strong and should never be forgotten. The principle of Satyagraha ("Soul Force" or "Truth Force") can be applied for helping us achieve personal and global objectives. It is the only method I know of that, when applied, will make any possible adversary respect you more with time.

1 comment:

  1. You know, I never realised it was that long ago or that it was South Africa.

    When I think of Gandhi I think of India.

    So we have know this timeless principle for at least 100 years. And each day we have the opporutnity to make a choice to figure out how to use it best.

    Of course it would be easy to "Just Do IT", so I wonder what would make it safe for us to begin to learn to think about it. What might I say - perhaps what might I Say Differently so that someone else really gets the message that I'm compassionate courageous and know that we all want the best for this world.

    So if I could do that, then we might find a wee thing to do together - or maybe just agree to stop doing one small thing which might make a huge difference if we could convince everyone to just do it - at least to the best of our abilities in our own unique style.

    What do you think? Any ideas spring to mind?
    I'm sure something will bubble up soon... if we are patient and encouraging.

    ReplyDelete